Director of External Research & Development @Amgen
What you will do
Let’s do this! Let’s change the world.
In this vital role within the External R&D group of Business Development you will be part of a team responsible for leading Amgen’s business development efforts in identifying and evaluating innovative therapeutics being developed outside of Amgen within the Inflammation/autoimmune therapeutic space for potential in-licensing, M&A, or collaborations. The successful candidate will develop and nurture a network of key industry and academic contacts to ensure robust communication of ideas, interests and information between the external community and internal groups. The role requires proactive efforts to manage the search and identification of opportunities through networking and reviews of the external landscape and assessing prioritizing based on Amgen’s therapeutic area strategy. The role includes leading the technical evaluations of opportunities by creating and managing cross-functional review teams, providing recommendations based on robust scientific and drug industry knowledge, and ensuring appropriate and efficient decision-making processes. This person will ensure efficient reviews and engage in business negotiations and work with legal to execute contractual agreements for certain projects. The candidate will be responsible for leading strategic discussions and presentations, collaborating closely with senior management, R&D, and Commercial to develop a set of priorities for licensure or M&A. This person will also be expected to successfully mentor any direct reports and present themselves as a thoughtful and respected professional to both internal colleagues and external parties. The role will also include the support of out-licensing activities.
It is highly preferred that this role be located at an Amgen Research hub in either South San Francisco, CA or Thousand Oaks, CA or other remote location in the Pacific Time zone to match most of our research teams
What we expect of you
We are all different, yet we all use our unique contributions to serve patients. The professional we seek will have the following qualifications.
Doctorate degree in a scientific field & 4 years of experience in drug development industry and/or biopharma business development
Master’s degree in a scientific field & 7 years of experience in drug development industry and/or biopharma business development
Bachelor’s degree in a scientific field & 9 years of experience in R&D and/or biopharma business development
- Doctorate in scientific discipline, with robust working knowledge in inflammation, oncology or other therapeutic area.
- 4+ years of management and/or leadership experience in business and drug development activities, and strong technical R&D experience along with business development and licensing experience.
- Strong leadership, scientific, organizational, communication, and project management skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent presentation skills. Effective communication skills pertaining to scientific and business development. Must demonstrate ability to foresee and solve problems, and prioritize and meet deadlines. Strong team player, experience in successfully managing direct reports and a demonstrated ability to interface effectively with all-levels of staff across differing functional expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to create and build relationships with internal and external parties.
- Professional demeanor with strong decision making
- Be able to work independently, manage large cross functional teams, and mentor individuals.
Experience Level: Executive
Work From: Remote from Country
View all jobs of Company: Click here