Project Leader, Oncology Early Development @ AbbVie
· Chairs an Asset Strategy Team (AST). In this capacity, serves as the enterprise leader who is the project’s primary point of contact for Pipeline Governance and senior management.
· Is a scientific leader and drives the science-based strategy for the program.
· Leads the effort to articulate and present an integrated cross-functional strategy for all aspects of product development, consistent with the overall strategy articulated by Pipeline Governance and the Therapeutic Executive Committee. Maintains primary accountability for ensuing deliverables, including a functionally aligned Asset Strategy/Plan and Product Development Plan (PDP).
· Ensures timely, multidirectional, and comprehensive interactions with Pipeline Governance at prespecified milestones and as significant program issues or opportunities arise. Reviews and analyzes emerging data objectively to drive team toward recommendations that highlight opportunities, address potential risks, and proactively provide appropriate mitigations.
· Has a deep understanding of the role and value of each function on the team, to know how to solicit timely input. Collaborates with AST functions to ensure program is appropriately resourced and stays within allocated budget, and champions requests for incremental resources when appropriate. Works continually with supporting teams to ensure that executed plans are consistent with the Target Product Profile (TPP) and PDP, tracking progress in conjunction with the Project Manager (PM).
· Ensures that the AST continually validates the viability of the program from a scientific and commercial perspective. Develops clear, prospective Go/No-Go decision points and serves as a champion for the program, using objectivity and judgment to analyze, interpret, and present data to Pipeline Governance and senior management.
· Serves as AST representative to appropriate cross-functional teams.
· Establishes close ongoing ties with all team members and supporting teams, to ensure appropriate empowerment and delegation, and maintaining aligned efforts. Maintains a function-neutral position in prioritizing actions and making decisions, with an eye toward optimizing asset value in a timely and high-quality fashion. Coaches and mentors team members as appropriate.
· Represents the AST at interactions with external parties (e.g., Advisory Boards, regulatory interactions) when these engagements require broad cross-functional contributions.
· Along with the PM, ensures that meeting agendas, background materials, and minutes are complete and available in a timely manner, with pending decisions clearly outlined, to enable the AST to focus on strategy and decision-making, and to enable optimal communication of issues to supporting teams, team members, and functions.
· Stays abreast of professional information, industry trends, and emerging technology through conferences, medical literature, and other available training, to augment expertise in drug development and the pharmaceutical industry. Works with team members to maintain a comprehensive and up-to-date understanding of the competitive environment in the field and to assess for potential impact on ongoing programs.
·Doctoral level degree required (e.g. PhD, MD or PharmD)
·Relevant experience (minimum of 5 years; 8+ years preferred) in an academic, hospital, or pharmaceutical/biotech setting.
·Strong scientific background in oncology drug development (basic, translational and/or clinical); and experience in designing and/or conducting oncology early clinical trials.
·Experience leading a team in a cross-functional environment, preferably with global scope.
·Ability to objectively exercise judgment and create pragmatic solutions to address complex cross-functional problems, and to be accountable for obtaining stakeholder advice to make informed decisions, in order to move a program forward in the face of uncertainty or incomplete data.
·Ability to lead and motivate team members from across functional areas; must be able to lead through influence and bring out the best in others. Ability to delegate appropriate accountability and decision-making to supporting teams and functions.
·Strong collaboration, facilitative leadership, executive function, and problem-solving skills.
·Ability and willingness to respectfully challenge team members and functions in order to assess fully all opportunities, options, risks, and mitigations.
·Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
Experience Level: Mid-Senior
Work From: Onsite
View all jobs of Company: Click here