Sr. Director – Materials Engineering and Process Development @ Eli Lilly
People Leadership, Business Administration, and Resource Planning
- Lead and maintain a highly competitive cross-functional technical organization consisting of engineers and scientists of very diverse education/training backgrounds. Build and execute long range recruiting strategies and technical succession planning to develop technical talent.
- Develop people and support diversity and inclusion. Ensure career development discussions, talent assessments and succession planning are in place for team-members. Drive overall functional area capabilities and skills to higher levels.
- Responsible for overall technical soundness of materials development/selection and molding/welding/joining/assembly/process technologies.
- Oversee resource, facility, expense, and capital planning through effective capacity forecasting models to ensure adequate resource for Lilly pipeline development.
- Provide appropriate resources and oversight to ensure compliance with appropriate Quality, HSE, Sustainability and other Corporate Standards, policies, and procedures.
Delivery System Commercialization and Portfolio Delivery:
- Identify and monitor disruptive materials and process technologies to continuously improve our delivery and device portfolio.
- Establish and leverage relationships with external partners to accelerate and access emerging packaging innovations, materials, molding and process technologies.
- Provide leadership in the development of advanced materials processing technologies, deep understanding of mechanics of materials and related computational analyses.
- Ensure a robust understanding of key physical and chemical material properties and their interaction with the mechanical delivery device and their behavior in manufacturing, storage and use conditions.
- Ensure thorough root cause analysis and problem solving of material related issues with product performance or manufacturing.
- Ensure reliable on-time delivery of work products (regulatory modules, technical reports, qualification reports, development history reports, etc.).
- Ensure adequate resourcing of CM&C teams, regulatory submission writing, test method support for engineering studies, investigations, and tech transfer activities.
- Work closely with Business Units, Affiliates, and Manufacturing to ensure the appropriate qualification of device components and material selection as well as the successful tech transfer to manufacturing sites to enable commercial packaging and device control strategies.
- Provide in-depth technical advice and guidance beyond department. Work with MIH teams, IDM, IDAP, and QC lab organizations to assess projects for design and process risks and use resources to mitigate those risks before they affect the project delivery timeline.
Internal and External Alliances / Advisory Boards:
- Support corporate development and due-diligence activities that are relevant to Devices and Material Sciences/Engineering via deep and pertinent technical input.
- Responsible for supporting existing internal and external alliances and developing additional external alliances as the business and capability requirements evolve to drive value and on-time delivery.
- Represent Lilly DDCS on external advisory boards and in relevant professional society activities.
- Author, review, and approve technical reports and/or regulatory submissions. Respond to regulatory review questions. May serve as a representative of the department or company for industry regulators.
- Enhance Lilly’s professional image and competitive advantage through patents, presentations and other professional activities.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Material Science or relevant field and 7+ years of previous experience in pharmaceutical-science/medical devices/packaging
- 5+ years of team-lead or management experience.OR
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Material Science or relevant field with 15+ years of experience; or M.S. with 10+ years of experience in pharmaceutical-science/medical devices/packaging
- 5+ years of team-lead or management experience.
Experience Level: Executive
Work From: Onsite
View all jobs of Company: Click here